Developed by http://www.jaspersoft.com, JasperReports is an open source java reporting engine that can write to a variety of targets. Unlike other tools, for example, Crystal Reports, it's based on java and doesn't have its own expression syntax.
- JasperReports can generate reports in PDF, HTML, Microsoft Excel, RTF, ODT, CSV and XML formats.
- JasperReports allows reports to include charts, with the rendering provided by the JFreeChart library, which supports many chart layouts, such as Pie, Bar, Stacked Bar, Line, Area, Scatter Plot, Bubble, and Time series
- JasperReports allows source data be retrieved from different data sources such as JDBC, CALS Table Models, JavaBeans, EJBQL, XML, Hibernate, and Comma-separated files.
- JasperReports allows scriptlets to accompany the report definition, which the report definition can invoke at any point to perform additional processing.
- JasperReports supports Sub-reports.